Friday, March 5, 2010

Washington Monument



8" x 10" Oil on Canvas
$100 includes shipping




I snapped the top image while sitting in traffic on the George Washington Parkway on my way to Georgetown Thursday morning. I guess the direction would be southeast, toward Rossyln, VA. I like the way the blue-atmospheric haze of the skyline blends in with the treeline and how you can just barely see the Washington Monument in the distance. What caught my attention was the light reflecting off of the Potomac and how bright it is in comparison to the muted blues and browns of the trees and skyline. I took a little license with the trees to give a better view and a little balance. I debated on whether or not to add the trees, but in the end I
decided that they make things more interesting. Normally, I despise traffic, but in this case it slowed me down enough to take notice of a good photo/painting opportunity. When you deal with DC traffic on a daily basis, you have to look for the bright spots...
















No comments:

Post a Comment