Saturday, March 13, 2010

"The Chosen One"


8" x 10" Oil on canvas
$150 includes shipping







Good day for painting. I woke up at 7am and went right to it.

Although I consider myself primarily a landscape painter, I have come to enjoy painting still life. Still life is great practice for seeing color and employing many of the same techniques that I use for landscape painting. I talk about still life as though I am an expert, but really this is my third still life painting...Take it for what it's worth!

I've done some things here that I really like, but I've also fallen into some of the same old traps, mainly overworking color. I used my adjustable desk lamp to provide artificial light, which shines in from the right side of the painting. I attempted to use brighter, warmer colors and sharper lines to accentuate the point of focus, i.e., the "chosen one," or the apple on the right. Moving from right to left, the shadows are darker and the lines less distinct so that the viewer's attention is focused on the chosen one. The chosen one is set apart from the others to further emphasize its importance.

I am quite happy with the apples on the left and the use of shadows and blurred edges to de-emphasize. I also really like the reflections beneath the apples and the background color reflecting on what is actually a file cabinet in the foreground...Where I went a little wrong was my overworking of the colors on the right apple. Time lapse photos would reveal colors becoming less and less fresh and bright as I attempted to perfect them. I am trying to overcome the compulsion to work and rework colors until they are perfect because the effect is usually the opposite.

Too late to make changes now...I have eaten "The Chosen One."

No comments:

Post a Comment