Thursday, June 22, 2023

Seldom Seen Hollow I

 

Seldom Seen Hollow I

8 x 8 Oil on Board

Inquire by email

I went on a three night getaway to a VRBO farm in Doe Hill, Va., Highland County.  The property is 172 acres, backing up to the National Forest.  I went alone with Rainey, my dog, and the plan was to fish, paint and rest up after the end of a grueling school year.  I did all those things, despite the fact that it rained most of the time.  This particular painting was completed in the rain.  It was not raining when I set up, but began pretty steadily the moment I got started.  So steady that it interfered with the paint adhering to the board.  It's tough to see in the photo, but there are some interesting textures, I think because of the water's impact on the paint.  I also had to try and "finish" this really quickly, but I still like the way it turned out.  Rainey is such a good dog - despite the rain and the cows lurking nearby, she never left my side. This is the view from the back of the farm, looking toward the National Forest.  I walked until I was too tired to walk anymore and never reached a property boundary that I could tell.  It is WILD back there - tons of wildlife and native plants that I just don't see anywhere else.  I loved it. Just realized you can see some water droplets if you click on the photo. I tried to blow them all off before I took the photo.

1 comment: