Thursday, June 22, 2023

Low Water Bridge - State Route 612

Low Water Bridge - State Route 612

8" x 8" oil on board

Inquire by email

These next three posts may not do well to prove my point about the benefits of painting a scene multiple times...this might be the best of three and it was the first.  But, I blame that on the increasingly heavy rain that once again held off until the very moment I broke out the easel. I guess you would call this river crossing a low-water bridge, although you actually have to drive through the river to get from one side to the other.  But there is concrete underneath, so I guess that counts as a bridge? Route 612 cuts across Summers Mountain and connects Bullpasture River Road to Cowpasture Road; a "shortcut" if you're heading back to route 250, headed toward Staunton, VA. It's long and winding and there's really no reason to take the road unless you have property up there or you're adventure riding like we did back when my brother first got his driver's license.  One time we popped a tire when we were halfway over the mountain and we didn't have a tire iron to change the tire.  We waited a looooong time before finally walking miles back to Cowpasture Road and waiting some more for someone to come by.  In addition to the rain making things difficult, a guy pulled up and parked DIRECTLY in front of me on the other side of the river.  He had to have seen me...So I had to crop him out of the painting.  Imagine his blue chevy truck with a camper top in the middle right, in front of that tuft of grass. Excuses.

Updated photo with frame: 



No comments:

Post a Comment