Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Trumpet Vine - Highland County

 


Trumpet Vine - Highland County

6" x 6" oil on board

Inquire by email


I'm proud of this one considering the conditions under which it was painted. Trying to sneak in an hour of painting while the kids were splashing in the baby pool on the other side of the house. It started off cloudy and breezy but became sunny and bakingly still. Then a storm blew up so it got cloudy again and then my easel blew over in the grass.  It never rained but the wind kept up, so I went around to a less windy side of the house to try and finish the painting without looking at the scene (I do that a lot when conditions change and I don't want to muddy up my painting by trying to make it match the changes). But the less windy side of the house was where the kids were playing.  And then I realized I was looking toward the kitchen where my brother-in-law was making faces at me through the window.  You get the picture.  So I quit while I was ahead.  Highland County and this farm property, in particular, might be my favorite place on earth. Trumpet vine is kind of like daylillies, except that it's a native plant.  It's super invasive and everywhere, but I think it's pretty, especially when it's growing along a fence with a mountain in the background. 

No comments:

Post a Comment