Sunday, July 18, 2021

Linville Gorge Revisited

 

Linville Gorge Revisited 

8" x 10" oil on board

SOLD

For me, there is no greater feeling of peace than the one I get from staring into an endless range of mountains. Just like a wide ocean view, staring into the mountains or any open vista (as opposed to staring at a phone or computer screen or being trapped in a city) expands your field of vision, which is supposed to reduce stress. I can confirm that it works. There's also something about the contrast between the ground-level, zoomed in, view that you get from hiking through a gorge (as in Linville Gorge), hemmed in by rhododendron and the noise of tumbling rapids and then scrambling to the top of the ridge to view not only where you just were, but as far as the atmosphere will let you in any direction. 

This is the second time I've attempted this painting and while I think it's better than the first, it still has a ways to go. Still working on that sense of peace. 

1 comment: