Saturday, December 13, 2014

Dickie Brother's Orchard

Dickie Brother's Orchard
8" x 10" oil on board
Sold

The photograph of the painting makes the shadows look a little darker than they actually are.  I intentionally tried to limit the range of values, particularly the darkest values, in an effort to create harmony.  In reality, the shadow on the end of the hay bales is much darker, and the shadows on the trees to the right are almost black.  From observation, I've noticed that many of my favorite painters use value restriction to add harmony to their paintings.  I'm still going with a thicker painting style and a limited palette;  ultramarine blue, cadmium yellow, and transparent oxide red for this one.  My goal lately has been harmony and a painterly style, and I think this one achieves both.

The scene is the back of Dickie Brother's apple orchard down near Wintergreen Resort in Virginia. I don't think my wife and I were supposed to be back here, but it was too beautiful to pass up.

No comments:

Post a Comment