Saturday, February 17, 2018

Beards Mountain Copy




















Beards Mountain Copy
6" x 6" oil on board

This is a copy of painting by one of my favorite painters, Frank Hobbs. Frank has a studio in my hometown of Staunton, Virginia, which I have never visited. I didn't discover Hobbs' work until long after I had moved away from Staunton, but I really need to go back and visit. He is my painting idol.

I see a lot of my favorite artists copying other artist's work as a way of learning technique and color mixing- I think it's ok as long as you give them sufficient credit...I'm not offering this up for sale, just in case. Here's a link to Hobb's version, the original:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/frankimbodenhobbs/33106892423/in/album-72157639674998133/

His painting is more muted and, admittedly, better. Be sure to check out the rest of his paintings!

No comments:

Post a Comment