Friday, July 2, 2010

'Porter 2.0'



11' x 14' Oil on HD Canvas
Commissioned - Sold

I couldn't sleep last night knowing that you were unhappy with Porter...I was totally discombobulated. But, I really worked to see your point and I think I understand. Pets are members of the family. I know because I have a dog of my own. Painting dogs/pets is a touchy business, maybe more so than painting people. If the glint in the eye is not perfect, it's still a dog, but it's not YOUR dog...It took me a while to come to grips with this, but I understand. With that said, I'm not sure what else I can do aside from repainting the background purple once the yellow dries.

What I did was remove the highlights along the gum - I agree that they took away from the teeth, which should be a center of focus for a German Shepard. I moved the gum up a little and toned down the highlights on the tongue because they distracted from the teeth as well. I increased the size of the teeth, brightened the highlights, and darkened the area around the teeth to make them more visible.

I tried to make the snout appear longer by pulling Porter's smile back and adding some highlights along the side of the muzzle. But the portrait is not a side profile so it is tough to make the snout appear as long as it is. Aside from that, I softened some lines around the edges and added some more yellow highlights.

Hope you like it better this time...Otherwise, I'll have what I consider a beautiful portrait of Porter hanging in my house...

No comments:

Post a Comment