Saturday, May 18, 2024

Meadow at Trout Pond


Meadow at Trout Pond

8" x 10" oil on wood panel

Inquire by email

This is the first of my Trout Pond Recreation Area paintings from my day off on Monday, May 13th. Before I painted, I hid my easel behind a tree (not that I really needed to) and hiked a few miles into the mountains with my dog, Rainey.  The whole area is spectacular - Trout Pond is a limestone sinkhole, the only natural lake in WV, and there are tons of cliffs and rock features to explore. I also love seeing native plants that are supposed to grow wild in Fairfax County, where I live, but are choked out by unending construction and invasive plants. I have native geranium maculatum that I bought and planted in my garden at home, but I had never seen it in the wild until my hike around Trout Pond. 

This was a highly enjoyable painting to paint, which is not always the case. Afterward, I stretched out on a bed of pine needles on the hillside to the right of this image and I felt like the silence was massaging my brain. The sound of a breeze through the pines is more beautiful than anything I'll ever paint. Here's another action shot:



No comments:

Post a Comment